Although Hootsuite is the holy grail of Schedulers and saves me hours in a day, if you have multiple clients and multiple platforms, it can still be an incredibly laborious ordeal and the one thing I started to dread on Monday mornings.
Of course, Hootsuite also offers a content suggestion feed to you to make your life easier, but it rarely fits in with my client’s niches and there’s nothing worse than getting a text about that ‘random’ tweet that went out an hour ago to all their entire audience base!
So here are my top tips on how to save valuable time on Hootsuite and schedule a week’s worth of tweets in 40 minutes. This is based on 3 tweets a day Monday – Friday and 2 on the weekend.
Find Your Influencers
We are looking for influencers that are churning out consistent content valuable to your niche on a daily basis. A good example in my field of work would be Neil Patel – recognised as one of the top social media influencers of 2017 in a recent article by Forbes. Nearly every tweet is dynamite for my audiences with carefully created content and attention-grabbing headers.
To give you an idea on how to find a good feed, I look at potential influencers Twitter feeds and if 1 in 3 tweets is relevant to my audience, I’ll add them to my list. The last thing you want is to be scrolling down long lists searching for suitable material to share. This is just far too time-consuming.
Create A Hootsuite Influencer Stream
I then open up a new stream in Hootsuite but just for my Twitter lists.
I can now go into my stream and simple edit the tweet with a maximum of 3 hashtags relevant to my business and schedule it in. As you can see, it’s vital that your influencers have content that can be consistently tweeted or you will be wasting valuable time scrolling through the feed.
Below is a screen shot of how to edit a tweet and reschedule it.
Another life-saving add-on for me has to be the Hootsuite share page icon which can be added to your browser. This is great to use for current tech/ marketing news that may be on a website rather than in a twitter feed but is a trending topic you wish to share.
You can download the free Hootsuite share page icon here.
Ok so this is just a quick overview of how I manage to schedule in a week’s worth of tweets in 40 minutes but this is pointless unless you are ENGAGING with your audience. I aim for at least a minimum of 1-2 hours a week.
Here are some engagement tips.
- Find your competitors, create a special list of their followers and start liking and commenting on their material
- Use the 80/20 rule. 80% of your content should be USEFUL, the other 20% promotional
- Split your week up to make it interesting – Monday – New product day, Wednesday – Customers Using your product Day, Friday – Launches of your new products.
- Type in Twitter search keywords to find your potential audience and provide solutions to your customer’s questions – ‘ too much admin’ ect.
- Take a look at your competitors feeds, which are the most liked pieces of content? What receives the most shares? Recreate it!
If you just don’t have the time to schedule your tweets in and engage on a regular basis but understand the importance of social media in your business growth, simply outsource it!